Mohawks Rock

I figured somebody might want to see the video that was shot.
A how to video on spiking your hair with soap, hair glue, and hair spray. It was done mostly for fun but also because I have gotten more than a few people who ask me how it works. :)

Views: 475

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great "How-to Make a Mohawk" Video. Definitely looks like a great solid method and the video and instructions helped a ton. If I go with a shorter mohawk, I know I am definitely going to reference this video in the future multiple times.
hey thanks for checking it out and giving some feedback.

Glad to know it may be of help one day :)
Thanks for posting the video. Best I've seen on 'hawk maintainance.
Not a problem and thanks for the compliment
Pretty sweet video but i just have a question, if you comb it up to get the fan effect wont that make the soap/hair glue mixture flake in your hair??

Pretty sweet method though, its almost similar to mine but i just use elmers glue instead of the soap :)
I find that it does flake the more that you use......but I am of the variety that does not ultimately care about such things haha :p I had MUCH worse residue problems when I was using knox gelatin when I first started out.....

And really it is not that visible unless you are up close and even then...its not like the flakes just rain down off your hair...kind of more like a glitter effect.

Elmers glue never worked for me...this is the only method that I found that will work for my hair....it is ultra thin and a pain in the ass to work with....I also like to keep my hair extremely stiff and standing for at least a week at a time
I watched through your video a couple times, i must say, it looks like it really works great. But the whole soap thing, doesn't that seem kind of unpractical?

I blow dry my hair out of the shower
put some mouse in it to get it standing up and more managable
take a bunch of ice spiker and put it all in evenly
brush through
then hairspray a section and hold it up while blow drying
brush again and re hairspray.

Works awesome considering my hair likes to curl a little bit at the tips.
It's all subjective....the only thing unpractical about it for me is the rain :)

My hair is extremely thin and fine and using just spray with gel or glue did not work....this is the only way I have been able to manage it.

Also, it will stay up strong for at least a week and a half when I wash out and redo...it would probably stay for much much longer if I put a little spray on every few days

Another thing for me...though it seems like it would be costly...this is mad cheap especially if you steal your product from somewhere. Irish Spring soap is like 2-3 dollars for 3 bars, the got2Be glue is about 4-5, and the rave spray is 2-3. While it adds up to between 10-13 dollars roughly...that shit lasts me literally half a year easy. When I was using ICE glue when I first started spiking my hair...I paid 8-12 dollars for an 8oz tube and I just couldn't warrant paying that.

I hate consumerism and try to limit it as much as possible haha :)
haha a week is a longggg time. Is it ok for your hair to have all that product in it for that amount of time?

I know what you mean about the ice, its really really expensive. When i first got my hawk I didnt know any other way of spiking it other than using water and gel which obviously was a disaster but the ICE helped a little bit. Now that I use hairspray and a blowdryer im going to stop buying the ICE gel.

So im guessing you just use half a bar of soap to put it up right?
Hair health....don't know :) I don't seem to lose any more hair when I wash it than any other person *shrug* Conditioning could probably be beneficial though I don't use any....

ICE is certainly a great product to use in the sense that it will hold your hair up and keep it there.but length of time up and stiffness are things I like and the soap does both quite well for me

Amount...I would say probably about 1/4 of bar. It seems like a lot when your applying I guess but have to remember it is basically liquefied...the amount of soap applied after soaking it in water would probably take hours to apply if you were simply putting it on your hands like you were washing them. But again though, people with more manageable hair and who do not want their hair to stand for 1-2 weeks per application could get away with using less. Kind of like using knox gelatin....just play with the formula until it suits you :)
I use that exact glue and hairspray :P
Except I just stand my hair with the glue, dry it a bit, then put hairspray and dry it again.

Doesn't combing it like that create some dandruff like flakes?
When you comb it you do it before its completely dry. If you were to try to comb it after blow drying it would probaly be impossible, atleast it is for me. The gel and hairspray make it so stiff it hurts to do it. Also no, ive never had a problem with it creating flakes at all.

RSS

Latest Activity

Toker commented on Gigs McGee's group 'Beer Lovers!!'
yesterday
Toker left a comment for ScumFuc
yesterday
Gibby updated their profile
Friday
Bryan Gordley updated their profile
Apr 5
Toker commented on Emil Sellven's photo
Apr 4