Mohawks Rock

So here's the deal, you've had your hawk for a week, 6 months or 10 years, it doesn't matter. You're comfortable with your "height" and you just go from place to place pretty much unconcerned with how or why other people might be observing you (you deny your understated hotness, for the sake of argument let's say.)

So when you're out and about and you -do- have your picture taken, how do you react? I should share a little: most of my "stranger danger" situations with photographers have fallen into two groups, 1.) those individuals that are ok and willing to come up to you and actually ask you if it's ok if they take your picture, and even more, they talk to you, ask you about say your hair, job, interests, etc. and then there's the second group, 2.) those individuals who you only sort of see on the perimeter, if at all, but you definitely hear the camera shutter, and see the camera being palmed as they hastily make a quick retreat after they've been spotted. This type avoids eye contact and never starts a conversation.

I like group number 1. I've always wished group number 2 could take a social risk and reach over a barrier or something.

So, anybody else? Positive or negative observations -or- interactions when you catch yourself being photographed by someone you don't know?

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to agree somewhat with you: there are definitely days where I don't want people taking my picture, and to top it off being sneaky about it instead of being upfront about it.

Part of me totally agrees with your way to deal with group #2. Arming yourself with your own camera might go a long way. Thanks for your reply!
lol, nice response CHINKY. but i really dont mind, i preffer group number 1 though its always great to meet new people.
I gotta say, group number 1 is awesome when they open up the conversation door and you can exchange info, so you feel less like an animal at a zoo (that open-mouthed gawker syndrome that people tend to get when they see something they don't understand gets checked.)
I pretty much share your sentiments here. The people who are into it and talk to me abotu it I usualyl don't mind. I had an interesting encounter at a restaurant where my friend works and we were hanging out. There were these teens from Tokyo who were the typical american-trend crazed teenagers you often see depicted. They were really into me haha. They had never seen some punk rocker before with a mohawk, spikes, and bullets and shit. So they talked to me for a bit and asked for a picture. They were here visiting for some reason I never found out.

So yeah, the people who are really cool about it and can get into it, I will be ok with. I am never short with those people but sometimes I am more energetic with them depending on my mood or whats happening.

Then you have those people when I sit in the park or whatever who are the pic snipers you speak of. It is annoying and I agree that it would be nice if they could try to challenge themselves to go outside of their comfort zone. It is discouraging to me to think of how afraid or whatever those people are.

HAHA at chinky's response. =) Their is a video on youtube of some punks in the 80's who were squatters I guess and they would charge people money for their pictures. There is a scene where this lady takes one and they catch her and she is saying she was taking a picture of the building and they just unleash on her asking if she thought they were fucking stupid and they made her pay the money. If I remember correctly they give the ultimatum of pay the money, or we take your camera. I may be wrong with that but for some reason that sticks in my head.

I would charge money for it but I am very against any form of capital gain/exchange economy and I see it as a form of cuonter-exploitation that I personally will not do. I can see the point of it though and I think its funny and cool that some do that. =)
i dont mind people taking pictures if they ask its the dickheads that take it upon themselves to sneak a picture - much prefer it if theyd just come ask me, maybe have a chat then take a pic
some chick in my math class took a picture of my hair.................and some teacher who works for the yearbook commitee thing or something, (never got the whole story), took a picture of my hair, and my friends have.....other than that, i don't know of any creeps with cameras hiding in bushes have gotten pictures of my hair.....but wouldn't doubt it. but - some talent search lady who works for some show on nickelodeon offered me an acting job, just because of my clothes. and when i told her i can play the guitar - she almost had a heart attack. nope. sorry lady.

btw: that was only 1 of my strange interactions with people.
group one can be alright i dont know if im the only one but group one tends to be 16 17 year old girls,or tourists. group two have no balls, pictures arent even that bad, pathetic tho. the ones that piss me off tend to sneak up behind me and feel my hair then play inoccent when i look back like they think that im not going to figure it out even tho theyre the only one behind me
Luckily no one wants a picture of moi. So, eh...

Defnatly group number 1. Theres nothing wrong with a decent conversation.

Although, you gotta have a giggle at the number 2 group,

those sneaky beakys!

Normally the second group are the silent, passive people, i've realised.

The first are always like fuck it. Whats there to loose? Which is always the best motive

have a nice day :)

I really dont mind when people as to take pictures. its when they pull out their phones, and pretend to be texting.. and they snap a picture thats when i get super pissed off...

Group number 1 are cool. I'll always chat with them and let them have a photo or two.

Group 2, however, really annoy me and there were hundreds of them when I visited China, it kinda felt like being a celebrity and I made a joke out of it, but it does get a bit annoying.

I prefer group 2, I find group 1 annoying, they have to stand there "hurr durr is that yalls reel haiur? HYUK HYUK HYUK!"

I prefer negative reactions, as long as I'm still getting under peoples skin I'm gonna keep my hair this way, at least I'm opening their minds and showing em theres more than unbent frat boy hats and blow-out hair cuts

RSS

Latest Activity

Toker commented on Gigs McGee's group 'Beer Lovers!!'
Tuesday
Toker left a comment for ScumFuc
Tuesday
Gibby updated their profile
Apr 19
Bryan Gordley updated their profile
Apr 5
Toker commented on Emil Sellven's photo
Apr 4