Mohawks Rock

How the fuck do you pull off the perfect fan? Not only talking products here but also tools and technique. Here's a few pictures attached of what I mean by the "perfect fan."

Views: 6085

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the simple answer is GIVE A FUCK how u are seen with a Mohawk most Mohawks are flawed period but its important to start with dry and straight hair and if it gets fucked up DO IT AGAIN
Shampoo hair and use a small amount of conditioner. Like fucking minimal. Towel dry,brush out starting at the tips and working your way up to the scalp (this way you don't end up with big stupid knots) - Blow dry and straighten it. I then make up a mixture of got2b glue shit and bar hand soap that I leave sit in a container with some water (gets all slimy and shit) - rub the two together (this can take a few tries until you figure out the right mixture for your hair). Rub that shit into your hair coating it well. Bend over and let it hang and start blowdrying at the front bending over further as you move back on your head. then when you get to point you can't bend any further (usually the crown area of the head) do the opposite and lean back blowdrying it. Its gonna be crunchy and kinda in pieces. Don't worry. Make sure your base is good and dry before moving on. The take two fine toothed comes and interlock the teeth of the two, sandwiching the hawk in between. pull the comes through the crunchy shit, until it gets kinda fluffy, then hairspray the fluff (I use the green tresemme) the same way you blowdryed it (leaning forward and then back). After trial and error, you eventually figure out the routine and it gets pretty easy. May not be a "perfect" fan but it does result in a decent one - you can see the difference in my pics from that route and the backcombing route. Works great for me and washes out really easily. - anyone got tips for me for liberty spikes?
the povian method is the best way i've found to do liberty spikes. I normally do a fan, but i really took my time and did it exactly like this guy and my spikes were perfect. Here is his amazing vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0piwbTivpDg
uise a comb basically :) when spraying!
i find a medium length hawk and thick healthy hair makes it much easier to get "the perfect fan" i usually dont care if its perfect or not as long as its standing without large gaps. i always do it the same (just hold my hair up where i want it, spray, and blowdry) with the same product and sometimes it just looks better then other times.. i call that a good hair day :P
Also, it's better to use a more malleable hair spray to begin with. I know got2b is very strong which makes it harder to fix and patch up after your hair is actually up. I usually use aqunet first and then after it's all up and fanned out nicely, spray it with got2b.
Shit loads of spray, the most important thing. Sometimes, I don't even use any gel at all when I'm going for a perfect hawk, wieghs it down and makes it to floppy. Basically, requires a lot more time than just a casual 'hawk, just hold up with one hand, and spray one side with ALOT of spry (but not too much, just enough to where it has a slight shine). Then blow dry for about 3 - 5 mins each section, so find something to rest your arm on. I've only pulled it off ONCE, and it took 2 hours. After you're done, put a light coat of gel, blow dry the whole shabang for a while, and that's how you do it. Like I said, I've only been able to pull it off once, so don't get too frustrated if you can't get it, it's really trial and error.
I'm with you on this one, Sara Sleaze. I seem to find that my hawk flops over too much. Doesn't matter how much spray I use, the tips just don't stay up.
Freeze IT hairspray.
its what a lot of cheerleaders use to keep their hair from becoming a mess when they're bouncing around.
it works, and its hella cheap.
double comb.
you're gonna have to mess with it A LOT to get it down the way you want it to look
but spray your base,(i've found freeze it hairspray works best, because it dries very quickly) like you normally would have to then lightly spray the rest.
take to combs, on either side, and pull up.
let one comb out and then spray more.
its tedious but you'll get a pretty good fan going.
and the more you practice it, the better its gonna go.
helps if your hawk isn't SUPER wide too. 2 to 3 fingers wide generally does a nice fan.
oh and if you're tender headed, you're going to have issues.
Ive found if my hair is freshly washed I have to make a rough fan using hairspray then when its completely dried comb it through to leave a layer of spray on my hair , then redo the fan using more spray as it works better with a coating of old spray already on.. ps mine kinda looks thin but thats due to my age n hair thinning but i think it still looks good
right, heres when i do, i dont know if you'd consider mine the "perfect fan" but anyway,

wash your hair with shampoo only
dry with hairdryer until completely dry, you might want to start pulling it upwards while you dry it just so there is some like in the roots already.
take 2 inch wide sections
hold the ends and spray the roots with ultra hold hairspray
then use a hot hairdryer on the section you have just sprayed
go along the whole mohawk like this just at the roots
then do the same with the mid lengths and ends (pull, spray, dry)
then take a hair straightener (straightening iron if you're in the US)
straighten hair from root to tip all the way along
spray all over with hairspray
and then one last go over with the hair starightener.

some people use a fine tooth comb to pull the sections up, but i just use my hands,

RSS

Latest Activity

A photo by Tay Tay Hashbarger was featured
Monday
Profile IconKyle Myers, xtrmepunk, Brandon Stillman and 4 more joined Mohawks Rock
Monday
Mohawkedleatherguy shared a profile on Facebook
Jan 18
Mark Janes replied to rotten's discussion 'What kind of music are you into?'
Oct 13, 2023
Emil Sellven posted photos
Dec 20, 2022
VooDoo_Drunk shared Dead End Demon's photo on Facebook
Nov 30, 2022
A photo by Mohawkedleatherguy was featured
Oct 15, 2022
A photo by Bartje Punk was featured