Mohawks Rock

Wrote a letter to the editor of the Detroit News tonight. They've published two of my letters in the past... We shall see if they choose to publish this one. At any rate, you saw it here first.

Here's the text.....

Sad State of Politcal Affairs

Neither Presidential candidate or party has a realistic plan to address the many issues facing our country, including energy and transportation. American (and Michigan) politics has become nothing more than media frenzy and a glorified political form of 'American Idol'. I see very little intelligent conversation on any issues, just 'pep rallies'.

I'd like to see serious discussions on the many issues facing this country. I believe the general US population is intelligent enough to understand the details of the policies the candidates are proposing. It might even encourage people to read avidly and research issues before making important decisions such as electing the people who represent us. These policies could possibly affect our country for many generations.

I research such average things like shopping the supermarket (I'm a comparison shopper), and I know I'm not alone. I suspect that the general US population is a lot more intelligent than the media or the politicians assume.

Regarding energy, transportation, health care and manufacturing, we're rapidly moving from a third world nation to a fourth world nation...

What we really need now are candidates who were visionaries such as John Adams or Woodrow Wilson.

Bob Johnson
Troy, Michigan

Views: 14

Replies to This Discussion

Thats cool. Hope this gets published in the paper. You'll have to point to a link on-line if it does, then hopefully we'll be able to comment on it on the website. Might raise some heads to see a letter like this get a lot of attention, even if it is from a site called mohawksrock.

Sadly you are right about the presidential election. It has just become a rock star media pep rally. It feels no more, and maybe less serious than electing your high school class president who is popular and says they'll get drinking fountains of coca cola (unless pepsi lobbies harder).

I do kind of look forward to the debates, since thats really the only area issues and plans kind of get covered, but even then they are lucky to get 5% past the surface. I was watching "Man of the Year" this weekend, and the part where he gets into the debates with the republican and democratic candidate, is absolutely great, both from the standpoint of him calling them out, but also them speaking and saying nothing at all.

Maybe one way to help the debates is to always throw in a wild card 3rd party person. I feel like Ross Perot helped liven up the debates with real issues back in the day. Even if we know a 3rd party cannot win in this system, still having a counterbalance would be nice, especially if they knew they wouldn't win anyhow, and could put it all out there. Whether you like them or not, somebody that would call out issues and shake up the rust of both parties would be great; maybe a Ron Paul, Bob Barr or maybe even a Herman Cain.

All that being said, the biggest impact a person can really think to make with their vote is to not pay attention to the mainstream battle, but really find out about your local politics and who is running there. Even with the incorrectly ever-expanding federal government, your local politicians should have a bigger impact on your community and I imagine most people know more about the presidential election than their own mayoral candidates.
I agree with the local comment. And our local leaders have a huge impact on our everyday lives. I occassionally attend City Council meetings (with the mohawk up). Council members didn't take me seriously at first (probably due to the 'hawk), but once they got over the 'hawk they realzed I was speaking intelligently.

BTW, I live in the suburbs, so Detroit's political mess doesn't directly affect me. Just gives the region a bad rep.

RSS

Latest Activity

Bryan Gordley updated their profile
Apr 5
Toker commented on Emil Sellven's photo
Apr 4
Toker left a comment for krazyk
Apr 2
Toker left a comment for ┌x┐ • •┌x┐Pots Pots Pots
Apr 2
Ty Wild updated their profile
Apr 1
A photo by Tay Tay Hashbarger was featured
Mar 25
Profile IconKyle Myers, xtrmepunk, Brandon Stillman and 4 more joined Mohawks Rock
Mar 25
Mohawkedleatherguy shared a profile on Facebook
Jan 18
site created by
Giant Mohawk Man

Members

© 2024   Created by Giant Mohawk Man.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service