Mohawks Rock

Post your thoughts about MohawksRock.com and any ideas you might have to make this a truly useful and fun resource. I've got a lot of ideas, but this is for all of you too, and if I can figure out how to make it happen I will try to get it in there.

Just to kick off a few ideas, I'd like to incorporate music, movie and book reviews and ratings. I have a feeling our group might differ from the mainstream and hopefully together we can help identify some really great material.

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

and game ratings i assume.
itd be nice if there were different photo pools to place certain photos cos not everyone tags them
ones for DIY and Mohawks
Game Ratings is also a very good idea. Still been messing with technology to make this work right.
We did just implement the "hot pics" section which shows the photo that was viewed the most times that month.

As far as categorizing photos, yeah its too bad we can't get people on the same page with tags, especially like how twitter does with hash-tags. Like people should tag their photo #DIY and then it'd show in the #DIY folder.

Without using tags, we'd have to have concrete categories which doesn't scale well. Plus you are still going to have the "LOL isn't this funny" mis-tagged or categorized, unless people go through and edit them out, which is major time consuming.

I'd definitely suggest starting "ALBUMS". You can put you pictures and other peoples pictures into an album. Let me know if you create a well done one and we can promote it. For instance, this album is one of the top pages on the website. I pulled it together with mostly other people's photos.

Girls with Mohawks Album
I came across the 'hot pics' section, good idea, though since it only changes monthly I suspect most people will perfer checking the latest photos or albums (if some of us maintain some).

Interesting to know you can pull others' pictures into an album - I'll have to have a look at that.

I have to agree about the tags issue. Why upload pictures if you don't want them found? Tags help them be seen again and again and they then don't need to be added to lots of different albums or pools by others as they come across them at random.

If someone wants to have a funny quip, use the photo's description for it rather than the tags.

But albums are a much more realistic solution.
An information section with links to useful forum threads - much like the featured members/images. So they don't get lost over time and people can find the best threads without searching deeply.
Hmmmm, good idea. I'll have to investigate ways to make this happen.

Best suggestion right now is that you can click on each category, then find the drop down box in the upper right and choose "most popular", you can also choose "latest" and "most comments" I believe.

Here is a direct link to the "most popular" mohawk hairstyling forum discussions.

http://www.mohawksrock.com/forum/categories/mohawk-hairstyling/list...

I'll keep this thought in mind as we continually try to improve the site. This feature used to be on the homepage, but unfortunately, we've really had to cut back on what people can have 'escalate' to the front page in the last few months. As the community re-adjusts and gets back to its roots of intellectual respectful conversations, we can start opening up some of the user-generated to the front page type things again.
Good point, I'll start using those categiory drop-down options.
Polls! I think it'd be a fun feature for the forums to let people start topics with polls - and also on their profile, if possible.
As soon as I get polling figured out to work well, it will definitely be coming. I can put polls up personally now, but I think user-generated polls will allow for a lot more creativity.
Increase the length for profile text & text box length (currently only 4000 characters) - the reason being, each embed code for an album slideshow takes up around 1300 characters! :O Along with html styling tags, it doesn't leave much space for text. :(

Hit into a limit when creating another album today for blond/yellow 'hawks - is there any way to increase the number of pics allowed per album? If not, I'll just include a link to a second album for them.
What about limiting it to 1 or 2 really good pics per person (if you haven't already)?

in the interim, at least
Not easy during creating albums, for a few reasons:

- I can't tell who's in some images (e.g. from back, side blocked by hair) and you can't click the image to find out - only drag it.
- The images from the same person are often separated by many thumbnails of others so it's hard to remember who I've done already after adding many images of others inbetween.
- I can't skip to a particular page of images from the add panel, so I have to go through all images chronologically to continue later. So, if I remove some after viewing the album, I have to go through many pages again to get back to where I ended before.

I think my best option (without raising the limit) is to just create more albums as I run out - still doesn't save me the time to go back to where I was before though. :(

Still, I like the three filled albums so far - I hope others will too.

RSS

Latest Activity

Toker commented on Gigs McGee's group 'Beer Lovers!!'
Tuesday
Toker left a comment for ScumFuc
Tuesday
Gibby updated their profile
Apr 19
Bryan Gordley updated their profile
Apr 5
Toker commented on Emil Sellven's photo
Apr 4