Mohawks Rock

I was curious, wondering if anyone had any interesting work experiences with their mohawk.

For me, I couldn't get rid of my mohawk for a job, not because I'm stubborn, but because there are many liberal and open-minded employers out there.

Being a college student in NYC, I decided to look for internships and part time jobs in the field of IT/Computer Science and the results of my job hunting have varied.

The Good

First, I had an internship this last school year running an entertainment company's computer department. My bosses, the managing partners, all liked my mohawk and hired me on the spot. Perhaps they found it refreshing. My boss told me that he just wanted me to be productive at work. He hired me for my knowledge and experience and prefered that I be myself at the office. During that internship, I had met with clients and no one had a problem with me. I was sad to leave in May, but the internship was over, so I had to move on.

Second, I do freelance computer repair. I post ads on Craigslist, people call me and I make good money. People prefer me over Geek Squad or some other repairman. Best of all, I am my own boss.

Third, I work at my school part-time. All of the professors like my hair and are always suggesting new colors for me to dye my hawk.

The Bad

Once I had an interview where the interviewer told me that I had to be a professional, which made no sense. Professionalism comes from you work and ethic, not from your appearance. I laughed at this guy. He was too conservative for me.

The Middle

I had an interview and was told that the mohawk was ok, but would have to be down on a day or two a month. This was not horrible, a reasonable request, depending on the frequency.

Summary

I would like to give some advice to anyone else in my position. In general, when looking for a job, try to work for a smaller company, a liberal company, or some corporations are ok with mohawks. Never give up hope. You should never have to change who you are for a job because of the way you look. The right employer is there. Look at me, I have not had trouble finding work with my orange hawk, the first time I interviewed, I got the job. Also, being in a big city helps. Just remember, if you are like me and your mohawk is part of who you are, people will understand that and offer you employment. Don't let them convince you into shaving!

I hope this has helped, and if anyone has any work related stories like mine, please share.

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My experiences are generally similar....
Good post.
This is an old topic, since I started it, I decided to go and only freelance, but as my original post says, it is not hard to get a job with a mohawk.

But if you have the choice, work for yourself.

RSS

site created by
Giant Mohawk Man

Members

© 2024   Created by Giant Mohawk Man.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service