Mohawks Rock

Censorsing Mohawks Rock, Age Limits - State of our Community

State of the community and censorship
First, I am a huge opponent of the idea of censorship, be it for content or for your age. Individual freedom of expression and message is what I believe enriches our lives and those around us. The decision, option and variety of outlets in this world for a person to listen and to speak have reached such numbers that censorship becomes ludicrous when there are not enough hours in the day to participate in your own communities much less waste your time monitoring outlets in which you do not care to participate.

I believe that this idealism, while not absolute, that is more than likely shared with many of us in this community. Rocking a mohawk says a lot about a person and their belief in freedom of expression regardless of the status quo.

Unfortunately, not everyone shares in these beliefs, especially governments. Due to the richness of our community, we now have been accessed in 140+ countries, which is great, except that is 140+ government systems and regulations. The spread of the site across the globe has been amazing and eye-opening, I hope others share in that experience. While we have 750+ members and a rapidly increasing base of active members, 12,000+ people visit every month.

At this juncture, this may mean a bit of community self-governance in order to preserve our community and its members, while maintaining our sense of individuality and freedom of expression.

About Giant Mohawk Man (aka Cheyenne Throckmorton)
Yes, I developed and implemented the idea. Yes, I put it to work, and yes I spend countless hours working on the site, its SEO and evangelizing the community everywhere I go. No, I'm not the leader. No, I'm not the only one who helps make this happen. At best, I'd call myself a "community organizer" (popular in american politics today).

Thats why I'm asking everyone via this forum how they feel upon a topic that I have struggled with since the dawning of this website. Its OUR community. I believe that whole-heartedly, and the statements below reflect my opinion as a member of that community and not a leader. While I'm pretty sure many if not most organizations can only thrive upon strong leadership, a nation of mohawk rockers cannot and would not thrive in this way.

As the member, my thoughts
First, I feel people of any age can contribute heavily to society, its goals and its messages. On MohawksRock.com, I know we have plenty of members of all ages that contribute to this community. I can make this 18+ but think we'd lose out far too heavily on the opinions, experiences and thoughts of those that could and would want to be a part of us.

Members should feel free to express themselves within the community, especially upon their own pages.

However, members that value the community should also take a responsibility upon themselves to understand that they are representing not just of themselves but also our community as a whole, already misunderstood by most.

A parent (who hopefully cares enough) to monitor their child's online activity should at the very least find a homepage indicitative of the creativity, freedom of expression and of course great extreme hairstyle tips that is the basis of this community. Nudity in pictures, vulgarity and hatred should not be found here.

At the same time I understand that what is obscene or hate-filled really is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes hard to judge. I hope the community itself will weigh-in on these thoughts and become self-aware enough to monitor itself while retaining the freedom of expression that keeps it so vital.

Feedback
Please send out your thoughts on this topic whatever they may be. I started this site halfway as an experiment and halfway as a joke, and it has become something so much larger than that. I have learned so much from so many and am truly proud to be a member and hopefully a friend to some.

The balance between individuality, society, censorship and age of participation should be and ongoing interesting topic that I look forward to learning from.

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

there is a time and a place for age cencoring and I feel like this is niether of those but i agree no nudity

RSS

Latest Activity

Toker commented on Gigs McGee's group 'Beer Lovers!!'
Apr 23
Toker left a comment for ScumFuc
Apr 23
Gibby updated their profile
Apr 19
Bryan Gordley updated their profile
Apr 5
Toker commented on Emil Sellven's photo
Apr 4