Mohawks Rock

My family was alright - everyone pretty much takes their cue from my mum and it was her that first cut my 'hawk. My workmates know, they ask me what colour it's been this weekend as when I work it's always down and blonde.

Views: 884

Replies to This Discussion

What an amazing day!

Today, I had two strangers at two different times and locations tell me how much they love my hair. The first was a white who lady who looked to be in her mid 50s at Best Buy; I was about to walk out from checking when she GRABBED MY ELBOW! D:

Now, I don't like being touched. Not even by people I love or have known all my life. It's just weird. My first thought was, "OMG! Am I supposed to know you? Because I'm forgetful! AHHHHHH!" and then she pulls me aside and says, " I LOVE YOUR HAIR!" Me: :D Thank you!

Whew, I thought I was a goner. xD;

The second time was less scary, but still unexpected. I was walking the dog (activity!) and a black lady (fairly young, I'd guess mid 20s to mid 30s) was walking her baby in a stroller and looked at me. I smiled and said hello, as most people just remark about my dog (she's cute and makes me look less intimidating... slightly... She's intimidating in her own right, but I swear it works out : D). I missed most of what she said as I paused my iPod and pulled out my headphones, but she repeated, "I love your hair, it's very nice!" So, of course I thanked her and we went back to walking.

*Preens 'hawk* Mmmm, delicious statements.

---
As of its conception, I have never been asked my sexuality, been hit on, or mistaken for a dude because of my 'hawk. I think the last part is because I am well shaped in the front and the back, though.
hmmm, well i've gotta say, everyone loves my mohawk
except for my parents - particularily my mom.

i actually take a lot of crap from her about it. she keeps calling it ugly and weird and gross and she wont even touch the sides of my head or anything.
she says she doesn't understand how anyone can be around me when its up, and she told me that if she was a guy, she would be totally and completely turned off because of my hair.
thanks, mom.

ugh.

but other than that, everyone likes it. my teachers, my friends, my boss, my coworkers...... lol =D
A downside of being trans is getting asked stupid questions in public. Not just stupid questions but invasive and sometimes dehumanising questions. A popular favourite is "what are you?" Normally my stock reply to that one is "Capricorn." However, when someone asks me that in a really awkward space like the queue in Tesco's I just have to go the extra mile:

"Umm... Excuse me...

Yes?

What are you?

[Checkout lady and bloke in front both look round, startled.]

Do you honestly expect me to answer that?

Yeah, what are you?

Alrighty, I am a hard-drinking, fast-biking, frequently cross-dressing new wave punk with tendencies towards 1970's rock, moshpit brawls and overt womanising. Now tell me, what are you?

Umm... I like garage and shit...

Yeah, sorry I asked."

Bear in mind folks, I had just biked it there so I was clad head-to-foot in armoured leather. No way he was gonna start something. He actually looked proper sheepish by the end of it.
Hey all! New here. Wow, where to start?! I live in a tiny midwestern Illinois town. I am mom to 3 awesome kids (19, 10, 7), ridiculously happily married to my high school sweetheart, church-going, motorcycle-riding, recycling, mad sewing, "right wing pigeon from outer space" ('the dead milkmen' song)! My husband LoVeS my hawk and the fact that I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks about it! My 19 year old daughter loves it! My two younger sons occasionally rock a hawk themselves and they and their friends are cool with it! My friends like it and give me cred for having the balls to do it as I am over 40 and I am a doctor's wife. I have heard second hand that some people don't particularly like it and apparently "I can kill conversation when I walk into a room" ('demolition man' from 'the police') whether or not it's up!
I LOVE IT! Did it last summer, chopped off 16 inches of hair and donated it to 'locks of love'. Locks of love makes real hair wigs for kids who have lost their hair kicking cancer's ass. I don't really care how most people feel about my hawk; I do it for me! I am super comfortable with the attention, both good and bad; I think life is short and you should do what you like! I like my hawk. This is my second one, I did it 8 years ago. Would have rocked it all through high school but my parents would NOT allow it... I did have some cool dark blue hair and a rat tail back in the day - they were cool with that! I like to challenge people not to judge by appearances alone; the mohawk really tests some people and their lack of 'tolerance'! Feel free to contact me, especially if you are also a mohawk momma!
little kids usually think i'm a guy. and people who don't know me think i'm gay. kinda annoying cuz guys can have long hair and be straight, and girls can have shoulder length or shorter hair and be straight...blue 'hawk=gay. tsk tsk tsk. but whatever, i know who i am - and i ain't judging no one. :) but it's kinda cool cuz the "wierd" kids at my school look up to me like a god, and draw pictures of me and stuff. they wanna be my friend, but they're scared to talk to me. but a lot of people tell me they wouldn't of had the balls to chop off their hair like i did. :P
last time I had mine up in public, I had this woman come screaming at me down the street saying things like "OMG!!! that was me in the 80's!!! WE LIVE!!!!" was kinda weird >_>

People do however LOVE my hawk, they give me ton of credit for having the balls to wear it with pride. People never confuse what gender I am either, so that's good I guess. xD
Aside from the odd person who says something like "..wow you look like a dude", or "gross, you look like a fucking fag", the reactions I get are really positive. Although, I find that all the positive reactions I get are from guys. Most girls hate it lol
Mostly I just get funny looks. Although one time as I was walking down the road, someone crossed to the other side with their kid to avoid me. It was pretty funny. :D
I've got shouted at on the streets ONCE, by the local gobby prick. Thats about it
Everyone else was inquizitive. And pretty positive,
well, all that really matters is that i like it.lol
i get a fairly good amount of special attention from it.
at school, people stop me in the hallways, i get stopped in the street.. basically everywhere i go, because no one around where i stay has one so they find it very intriguing.
the attention i get from guys is how bold i am for doing it, you know the typical attention for anybody with a mohawk anyways.lol
The reactions I get as a girl with a mohawk have been pretty positive. I get some glares here and there but I usually get good reactions. I get stopped on the street or at school asking me how I keep it up and how long it takes me to spike it. One time this lady stopped me and told me she loved my hair. I said thank you and she said yeah why be drab when you can be dramatic. It totally made my day
most all the reactions i get have been good. i get hit on a lot more by guy then i used to, which i didnt expect at all. the bad reactions i have gotten havent even been that bad. for example girl scouts now never ask me is i want to but cookies, and i did have a women tell me that even though she loved my hair i looked weird. the whole time she is telling me i look weird i was thinking yeah i am the one that looks weird when you are probably over 50, are at a night club and wearing a outfit similar to the one my cousion was wearing who had just turned 18 that night. i get a lot of older guys that like to tell me about how they had mohawks back in the day. i live in a small town in east tn, so i really cant remember seeing anyother girls with the same hairstyle.

RSS

Latest Activity

Toker commented on Gigs McGee's group 'Beer Lovers!!'
Tuesday
Toker left a comment for ScumFuc
Tuesday
Gibby updated their profile
Apr 19
Bryan Gordley updated their profile
Apr 5
Toker commented on Emil Sellven's photo
Apr 4