Mohawks Rock

Since the subject of Ninja turtles came up, I'd like to know how many are into (or have seen) animated classics from the 40s and 50s. Remember, these were created by artists without computer graphics. Their skill absolutely amazes me, and, IMHO, are still more captivating than most computer aided animation of today.

Disney's 'Fantasia' is one such classic. Warner Brothers also did a great job with Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, etc. Neither studio produced these cartoons for children..... some of Warner Brothers' cartoons from that period had subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) political overtones.

My favorite Bugs Bunny / Elmer Fudd films are a takeoffs of classic opera: Wagner's Tannhauser (Elmer Fudd sings 'Kill the Wabbit') and the Barber of Seville (hilarious scene of Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny in a barber chair). If you have a chance, check out these animated classics. They are really entertaining. And while you're watching, remember that they were created totally by humans without the aid of computer enhancements.

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

fantasia is the only animation that never gets boring, no matter how much u watch it. plus its amazing to watch when your high (on life of course ; )
"My favorite Bugs Bunny / Elmer Fudd films are a takeoffs of classic opera: Wagner's Tannhauser (Elmer Fudd sings 'Kill the Wabbit')"

that is my all time favorite!
I believe it is available on CD. I know CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Network) plays it on CBC3 once in a while (around 87 on the FM dial in Detroit / Windsor). One advantage to living near Canada is that we get the Canadian networks as well as the American ones.
CBC televison and the TVO network have some interesting televison programs, too. Canadian humor is a little like British humor.
BTW, there is a terrific radio program which airs Saturday mornings on CBC. It's called the Vinyl Cafe hosted by Stuart McLean. He's one of the best radio humorists / storytellers I've heard. Just talks about his daily family life, and makes the routine seem absolutetly hysterical.
We had a rabbit infestation in our neighborhood a couple of years ago. Schnauzers are instinctive rodent chasers (that's what they were originally bred for in Germany). I'd take my girls in the back yard when rabbits were chewing on my foliage and sing 'Kill the Wabbit' to them. They'd chase the rabbits away. I'm sure my neighbors thought I had gone totally insane, but it kept the rabbits at bay. Now all I have to do is sing a few bars and they're ready for a hunt.
One neighbor who has a good sized veggie garden would reward my girls once in a while for protecting his garden. Fortunately, we're good neighbors.....
thats so cute lmao
i love fantasia and kill the wabbit!!!
ive probably watched fantasia probably over 200 times in my life, its just amazing. i also like whats opera, doc? and hillbilly hare. Whirl, whirl, twist and twirl, jump all around like a flying squirrel. Now dont you cuss and dont you swear, just come right out and form a squaaare!
I'm impressed. Obviuosly into classic WB animation.....
i miss watching them all with my dad...ive never seen them on tv anymore and i have dial up so i cant watch them online :(
Do you have cable TV? They show them once in a while on the Cartoon Network.
we have satalite in the living room, ill have to browse for them when my dads not home and record them :] thanks!

RSS

Latest Activity

Toker commented on Gigs McGee's group 'Beer Lovers!!'
Apr 23
Toker left a comment for ScumFuc
Apr 23
Gibby updated their profile
Apr 19
Bryan Gordley updated their profile
Apr 5
Toker commented on Emil Sellven's photo
Apr 4