Mohawks Rock

i have seen a lot of emo hating around the forum and it really jiggles my niggle, people dont seem to understand what emo is, it is actually a form of punk, it is not the self mutilating depressed group of people that they are usually put across to be, in fact nirvana are more emo than emos www.youdontknowemo.tk this should clear things up also check it out on wikipedia and urban dictioanary as well

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

+1
erika seems as though she has scene mixed up with emo. ive never met an emo with a mullet or anything hello kitty.
skip and sonic have the right of it.
Meh I can't say I would go around hating the people, its pointless. I even like Senses Fail which I guess can be considered "emo", i really dont get into much modern music in general because to me most of it sucks because it is too homogenous... The music industry kills bands by making them compromise their original integrity to make themselves more "marketable" it would seem as though the majority of the American populous want to hear alot of bands that rip off Coldplay and Story of The Year... Its when people actively go out of their way to make themselves "emo" that I begin to find it annoying. I have this former friend of mine that played in a punk band with me and did nothing but wear girl jeans and hate himself (also he actively called himself emo) and bitch about how we shouldnt play punk anymore and how we'll "never get big" playing punk music. I explained that while i was the one writing all the music and he wasnt doing anything, he had no room to complain... nevertheless that didnt quell his bitching and trendy self hatred so we eventually went our seperate ways. Despite all of this i see theres no point in hating anyone that comes along looking that way or listening to that music and to do so is a waste of time
too tired to post properly
meh i should say that true emo is really dead and its more the scene kids i have a distaste for because they try to label themselves... take my original post and apply it to the scene kids. there's just no more bands like Fugazi and the Rites of Spring any more... which is why i say most real emo is dead.

i would dare to say that the majority of people's concept of emo is based off a fashion statement that was misassociated, rather than the actual music... as i was trying to state before it when people try to actively label themselves by this false stereotype it gets annoying because they try to perpetuate something thats not even correct...
my only only problem with it is that it seems they are trying to reinvent punk, but then don't give credit where its due. like when i was at a show and some kids were talking about black dahlia murder being their favorite hardcore band. hardc...what? that's not hardcore, thats regurgitated hardcore. what about black flag, minor threat, bad brains? they wont admit that these bands helped make their bands what they are today.
they are hardcore punk, hardcore is a new thing, things change it happens all the time.
hardcore used to apply to anyone different and anything different why shouldnt it apply to those bands? everyone is too restricted these days whatever happened to doing whatever the fuck you want?
I think the term hardcore was just used for those old school american bands. They did not seem to regularly call it hardcore punk...just hardcore.

Then the 90's hit with bands liek Snapcase, Hatebreed, Blood for Blood and those thigns and they took the term hardcore.

Then street punk bands and crust bands started getting called hardcore punk.

*sigh* when will it end.

All I know is that Everytime I die, Bring me the Horizon, and those radio breakdown bands are not hardcore in my eyes. I will accept bands like Minor Threat, SSD, and modern bands playing that style such as Black SS, Anti-You and many more, I will also grudgingly accept bands playing that Blood For Blood style music as hardcore.

Just my two cents...ultimately though genre is trivial. I separate into two distinct categories for myself: stuff I like and stuff I do not like. It is pretty easy to define for me =)

If you really wanna hear arguments between people trying to define genres...start hanging around and talking with post-rock fans. The elitism in that scene I find is un-paralleled =p
i kind of agree with you... i asked my friend if she listened to punk music and she said "hell yeah" and i said cool whats one of your favorite bands and she told me "Boys Like Girls"... needless to say i was stunned. I dont mean to be the punk rock nazi and delegate what is and isnt "punk" but i think that the mainstream "alternative" music today can in no way be considered a legacy of the punk genre. Yes let those bands do what they want i dont care, but inadvertently they have misguided a whole generation of people into skewing what punk music was actually all about...
yeah my mate still insists that greenday are hardcore punk
what?! you mean GreenDay arn't hardcore punk?! omg, there goes all of my ideals. *just kiddin'*
so emo = emotional, thus any and all music could fit under this category, or is there music out there which lacks any emotion?

i dunno, im just trying to understand a little better.

RSS

Latest Activity

Toker commented on Gigs McGee's group 'Beer Lovers!!'
Tuesday
Toker left a comment for ScumFuc
Tuesday
Gibby updated their profile
Apr 19
Bryan Gordley updated their profile
Apr 5
Toker commented on Emil Sellven's photo
Apr 4