Mohawks Rock

Hey girls -

I was curious to know how your parents and/or other family reacted when they found out you have a hawk?
I just got my hair done 2 days ago. By the way I am 25 yrs old and live on my own with my bf, and not under my parents roof.
My grandparents are having their 55th anniversary party this weekend, and the plans were that my bf and I were going to attend it. We were going to go there with my parents.
Knowing this, I sucked it up and called my parents the night I got it done...I let them know that I have this new mohawk hairstyle, BUT that I don't plan on spiking it up and that I would wear it down around them and the family.
Their reaction? They were utterly shocked, upset, and immediately told me that I am not allowed to attend our family function this weekend! They hadn't even seen any pics of me or anything...just immediately banned me from going! I was so hurt :(
I tried calling my parents last night and that didn't get me anywhere. My mom could barely talk to me and threatened to hang up on me so we ended the call.

I wrote them a long email last night explaining everything out and sent them pics of my hair down, which I think makes a very cute short hairstyle for me. I just hope they read it and understand that I am still the same daughter I always have and a hairstyle won't change that.

I'm tempted to call my grandparents and let them know whats going on and see if my bf and I can visit them on another weekend, but I'm nervous about my grandmother. She's very judgmental just like my parents and I don't want to deal with a repeat issue..

I think as women, we have it harder when we choose to have a punked out hairstyle such as this. Especially when there are family members who are set in their ways that it isn't "ladylike or proper" for a woman to wear their hair in a mohawk style.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else had simular reactions as I did from their families and/or how you worked through them?

Views: 1232

Replies to This Discussion

Lets see. On my side of the family. My dad laughed. My mom gave me some weird looks. And my daughter kept trying to grab it. On my husband's side, his little brother laughed then got in trouble. Hubby's mom thought I was weird. and his stepdad chuckled and shook his head. Other than that, its been pretty decent. Most of my family thinks I'm weird anyway.
I just gave my 11 year old daughter a mohawk!

She really wanted it, and my wife said "go for it."

Weird thing is, I was nervous about doing it - even though I had green/black/blue-green hawks from 13-16, then a blue/black devil lock after that for a few years.

I found some good pix of girls with hawks on this site, and said -- "let's do it." SO... I cut it all up last night, dyed it fuschia, and there she goes!

We did it in liberty spikes this am & she went to the youth service at church!
(btw - God doesn't judge by how you look! ;-)

Nah... we're not conventional parents... my wife & i are tatted & pierced, I've got a 10 inch goatee that's 1/2 blue... and one of our other daughter has her lower layer of hair blue...

So... welcome another member to the mohawk nation!

I'll get her signed up on here in a bit...

L8rs...

coigna
i have always wantid a mohawk and now i have one!
thanx dad!! and mom!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that's my grrrrllll!!!

coigna
That is so awesome! I bet everyone wishes their parents would help them get a mohawk!!
It looks great!!
Lookin awesome!!
I'm about to do it tonight, my first 'hawk. Or tomorrow afternoon. In any case, when I asked my mom for clippers, she asked why and I hesistated. Before I could talk, she laughed and told me to shave my head.

go figure.
Update on that, she is now cutting my hair and shaving my head for me, or at least helping.

My mom is an interesting lady.
When I got my Mohawk my mother (the more conservative of the parents) was the first to find out. I tried wearing it down and under a bandanna so you could just see my bangs, but she saw right through it. We were sitting on the couch at my grandma's, around thanksgiving I think (07). She just look at me and said, "Is your hair short?"

I replied, "Actually, it's a Mohawk."

"Thought so."

I pointed out to her that I wasn't doing it to upset anyone, and only to make myself happy. If I were trying to rile her up, I would have spiked the damn thing. I also mentioned that I have wanted one since I was four. You can ask my parents if you don't believe! I basically told her she should have seen it coming, haha.

It took her a while to adjust, and I had to have normal hair for a while while trying to get a job, but thank GOD I got my old pizza job back. No one cares if you're pierced, or have outrageous hair. This Christmas was the first time I have worn my hair up around my parents and to my surprise, they LOVED IT!! Even my grandmothers said it was adorable, and my mom had me stand beside her in a picture so it could look like she had a Mohawk! I never thought I'd see the day!!

I think it just takes time to adjust, and it's almost helpful to never give warning. Then they can't run away screaming before you get there ;)
Aww this gave me warm fuzzies.

RSS

Latest Activity

site created by
Giant Mohawk Man

Members

© 2024   Created by Giant Mohawk Man.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service